[IAM's fiscally sponsored affiliate projects use media and the arts to build community and participation. We're showcasing a different affiliate each week through the end of the year. Please spread the word, and consider donating to support their good works.]
IAM is honored to be the nonprofit fiscal sponsor for the Women’s Film Institute — producer of the San Francisco Women’s Film Festival, the Reel Women Workshops, the WFI Shorts Tour, and the Generation HERstory Media Arts Project for SF Bay Area girls.
Year-End Fundraising Goal | Donate Now
$1,500 to support film and new media programs that amplify the voices of women and girls.
- Nov. 18: The WFI Shorts Tour Kickoff + FREE D.I.Y. filmmaking workshop
- Dec. 15: Submissions deadline for the 8th Annual SF Women’s Film Festival (running April 13-15 of 2012)
- Jan.-Mar. 2012: Generation HERstory Media Arts Project filmmaking mentorship for low-income, at-risk young women ages 12-19
It all starts with critical facilities, organizational talent and the D.I.Y. gumption to go Set Things Right. WFI founder Scarlett Shepard (pictured at left) graduated from the film program at SF State wondering why there are so few women movie directors in the mainstream. She founded the SF Women’s Film Festival to change the status quo. Eight years later WFI has blossomed with additional workshop, film tours and youth programs.
Your Donation Will Support
- Increased exhibition opportunities for female film directors: Over 500 films from around the world showcased since since 2005!
- Free/low-cost screenings, events, workshops, and educational programs
- Free/low-cost film training, mentoring and professional development programs for girls and women.
- Community exposure to and connections with celebrities, activists, educators and notable figures in the world of film
Independent Arts & Media supports diverse, commercial-free media and arts projects that build community, civic participation and cultural engagement. As a fiscal sponsor, we enable these affiliate projects to receive tax-deductible donations, foundation grants, and other benefits that advance their work in the public interest. In 2012, IAM will increase the exposure and sustainability of our sponsored affiliates, by developing new promotional and fundraising services beyond the basics of fiscal sponsorship. Learn more about IAM.