What is Fiscal Sponsorship?
IAM is currently accepting applications for fiscal sponsorship, with review conducted by the Board of Directors at our monthly Board meetings.
On this page you can learn about fiscal sponsorship as related to our mission, review our sponsorship contracts and Affiliate Policies & Procedures Manual, affirm your eligibility for sponsorship, and begin the application process.
Fiscal Sponsorship & IAM’s Mission
Independent Arts & Media offers fiscal sponsorship to projects that advance IAM’s charitable purpose: to raise the educational and social levels of the residents of the San Francisco Bay Area and surrounding regional and national communities, through the development of non-commercial, educational and cultural media, news and arts projects for the benefit of the general public. This is a First Amendment thesis of creating a healthy democracy through free expression, open inquiry and civil discourse.
Benefits for Fiscally Sponsored Affiliates
First and foremost, fiscal sponsorship enables our affiliate projects to receive tax-deductible donations and grants from individuals and organizations. Depending on the type of sponsorship relationship, affiliated projects may also have access to other resources and services as detailed in the Fiscal Sponsorship Policies & Procedures Manual.
IAM’s affiliated projects will also have exclusive access to the professional development and advocacy benefits offered through IAM’s participation in the Wavelength Media/Arts program.
We cover our costs for client services, CPAs, bookkeeping, auditing and IRS compliance in part by applying an administrative fee of 7% to 9% (depending on the type of sponsorship relationship) to all funds we receive on behalf of IAM’s fiscally sponsored projects for work that is consistent with our mission.
We support diverse, non-commercial projects in the arts, humanities, and media of all sorts. Eligible work includes the design, production, promotion and presentation of visual art, performance, music, mixed media and transmedia, online/digital media, film, video, radio, journalism and civic information, publishing, educational activities, open civic-design projects, and public convening. The unifying First Amendment principle is that all such works advance dialogue, spur participation, build community, increase openness, and as such help cultivate a healthy “culture of democracy.”
- LEARN MORE: Download IAM’s Fiscal Sponsorship Policies & Procedures Manual and Fiscal Sponsorship Model A and Model C Contracts (PDF). The two contract options are “Model C” (sponsorship of independent entities) and “Model A” (adoption of a project into our own organization). The Fiscal Sponsorship Manual provides a complete overview of how these models differ, and also details our policies for addressing the myriad of contingencies related to a healthy fiscal sponsorship relationship.
- TO APPLY: Download IAM’s Fiscal Sponsorship Application Form (MS WORD .DOC FILE). The completed form should be saved and emailed with supporting documents to IAM using the email address listed on the form.
- Sponsorship applications are reviewed by the Board of Directors at the regular monthly Board meetings and must be received no later than one-week prior to the meeting.
- The Board of Directors may consider applications on shorter notice or at times other than the regularly scheduled Board meeting upon request and subject to the Board’s availability, in its sole discretion. In the event that the Board approves any such request for expedited review of an application, the application will be subject to a non-refundable $50 application fee.
We evaluate applications on the following criteria:
- How well the project fits into Independent Arts & Media’s mission and values.
- Relevant experience and background of the project’s leaders.
- Compliance with IRS guidelines for activities of 501(c)(3) organizations.
- The specific needs of the project and its organizational framework.
Great! We love questions. Give us a call at (415) 738-4975, send us an email at email@example.com or submit the online form: