IAM is currently accepting applications for fiscal sponsorship, with review conducted by the Board of Directors at our monthly Board meetings.
On this page you can learn about fiscal sponsorship as related to our mission, review our sponsorship contracts and manuals, affirm your eligibility for sponsorship, and begin the application process.
Fiscal Sponsorship and our Mission
IAM’s fiscal sponsorship program advances our mission: To support people and projects that build community and participation through noncommercial media, arts and educational activities. This is a First Amendment thesis of creating a healthy democracy through free expression, open inquiry and civil discourse.
Benefits for Fiscally Sponsored Affiliates
Fiscal sponsorship enables our affiliated projects to receive tax-deductible donations and grants from individuals and organizations. Depending on the type of sponsorship relationship, affiliated projects may also have access to other resources and services.
We cover our costs for client services, CPAs, bookkeeping, auditing and IRS compliance in part by applying an administrative fee of 7% or 9% (depending on the type of sponsorship relationship) to all deductible funds we receive on behalf of IAM’s fiscally sponsored projects for work that is consistent with our mission.
We support diverse, noncommercial works in the arts, humanities, and media of all sorts. Eligible work includes the design, production, promotion and presentation of visual art, performance, music, mixed media and transmedia, online/digital media, film, video, radio, journalism and civic information, publishing, educational activities, open civic-design projects, and public convening. The unifying First Amendment principle is that all such works advance dialogue, spur participation, build community, increase openness, and as such help cultivate a healthy “culture of democracy.”
- LEARN MORE: Download IAM’s Fiscal Sponsorship Model A and Model C Contracts and Fiscal Sponsorship Policy Manual (PDF). The two contract options are “Model C” (sponsorship of independent entities) and “Model A” (adoption of a project into our own organization). The Fiscal Sponsorship Manual provides a complete overview of how these models differ, and also details our policies for addressing the myriad contingencies related to a healthy fiscal sponsorship relationship.
- TO APPLY: Download IAM’s Fiscal Sponsorship Application Form (MS WORD .DOC FILE). The completed form should be saved and emailed with supporting documents to IAM using the email address listed on the form.
- All fiscal sponsorship applications must be for work that is non-commercial, that does not endorse candidates for office or lobby for legislation, and that meets our program criteria (see below).
If you have any questions, contact us using the online form below.
We evaluate applications on the following criteria:
- How well the project fits into Independent Arts & Media’s noncommercial mission and values.
- Relevant experience and background of the project’s leaders.
- IRS guidelines for activities of 501(c)(3) organizations.
- The specific needs of the project and its organizational framework.
Great! We love questions. Give us a call at 415-738-4975 or send us an email: